Emerging Fashion Designer: Shie Lyu
1. Designer Name?
My name is Shie Lyu.
2. Where are you based?
I am based in New York.
3. Where did you learn to design a collection? What led you to that direction?
Parsons MFA fashion design. Its high standard and reputation in the industry.
4. Please tell me about your current AW collection? What was your inspiration?
For the latest AW19 collection, I play the role of a mathematician who use the precise ‘formulas’ and ‘tools’ to create a new modern and romantic couture collection. I use my mathematical way of thinking and approach throughout the whole process of design whilst taking inspirations from Moholy Nagy’s light display installations previously on show at Guggenheim Museum.
The signature of the design will be the intricate use of unusual industrial materials like molded perspex, rubber, heat shrink industrial tubing etc. to create its textiles and contrasting colourful embroidery and beading by haute couture techniques.
5. Please tell me how you have gathered experiences in different cities as: Sydney, Tokyo, New York, and London? Did each city offer a different experience, and what was that like?
First of all, they all have different cultures and even different language. The way I communicate with people and the way I behave is different in each city. I enjoy them all and that is the reason why I am always trying to be open minded and embrace the diversity.
6. Please tell me about being selected for CFDA, 2018-2019? What was that like, tell me
It is my pleasure that I have being selected for CFDA+. It is a good program that gathers young talented design graduates and offers exposure and opportunities.
7. And, please tell me about being selected for Eyes on Talent, 2018-2019, could you tell us a little bit about the event and the experience for you?
Eyes on Talent is a cooperative program with CFDA+. They give us a chance to create a personal design showcase to only represent to the industry insiders which is very professional.
8. Please tell me one of your favorite designers and why?
It is definitely Hussein Chalayan. His sculptural designs. And the most important thing I respect is his faith in design.
9. What is your goal for the next upcoming years as a designer?
Keep creating new things.
10. What is your motto in life?
No matter what the result would be, try your best.