Influencer With A Cause: Laura Botero & Ecostyle Blog
1. What is the mission of Ecostyle blog?
To create awareness and inspire people to take better care of our planet and all who live on it.
2. Owner name?
3. How long has the blog been around?
Since November 2018
4. I love that your blog is both in English and Spanish, I find that very user friendly. Where are you based?
I was born in Colombia and moved to Washington DC in 2013 where I currently live. It's important for me to create awareness in both languages because I want to reach as many people as possible.
5. I see that you are a big nature lover, how did this impact your blog?
I've always had a great respect for nature and wanted to share my experiences. It's been difficult to read about how human beings are harming the environment, so I created Ecostyle to bring awareness to environmental issues. I want people to understand that they can live a sustainable life without compromising their lifestyle.
6. What are some of your favorite destinations?
I really enjoyed Istanbul because of their rich history and the blending of European and Asian cultures. Also, one of my favorite destinations is Amsterdam because of their lifestyle. I love how there are more bikes than cars in the streets, you can even find moms riding their bikes with 2 and 3 children on the same bike.
7. How did you come up with the name of your blog?
I've always been interested in fashion and the environment and Ecostyle combines my passion for both.
I also wanted the name to sound minimalist as I promote a "minimalist" and "zero waste" lifestyle.
8. What are some of your favorite sustainable brands?
There are so many that I like but I am going to name just five of them. :-)
She believes in respecting the environment and working with nature instead of against it.
The brand sources the finest materials from all over the world while offering sustainable employment and training opportunities to women rescued from human trafficking and sexual exploitation.
The company which every product is made to the highest ethical and environmental standards from start to finish.
The company whom makes killer clothes that don't kill the environment.
The label is committed to creating positive change.
9. Do you only wear sustainable clothing?
I do my best, but I don't think is all about wearing sustainable brands, I truly believe that the only way to reduce clothing pollution is to wear second hand clothes or to buy good quality garments that last longer than regular fast fashion clothes as fast fashion has a very negative impact in our planet.
10. What does sustainable mean to you?
Sustainable means to treat the planet as if we were planning on staying because there is "NO PLANET B."
11. Do you have a 5 or 10 year vision for your company that you could share with us?
This is a tough question but for right now I can say that I want to educate future generations on ways to protect our environment, be compassionate and keep on preserving endangered species. I also want to promote different solutions for issues that harm our environment.
12. Who is your customer?
My customer is everyone who is taking action on saving our planet. Companies that offer zero waste products, products that can be reused or innovating products to help us quit plastic options. Also Fair Trades, and sustainable and ethical clothing brands from all over the world.
13. What is something you wish people knew about sustainable fashion?
I want people to know that Sustainable Fashion is not just about the textiles or products, it is about the whole system, the producers, the users, all living species involved and the contemporary and future generations. It is about innovating and using fibers that aren't harmful for the environment, its about no compromising an animal's life to look pretty. Some brands can be known as prestigious like Fendi, Mr and Mrs, Moncler or Ganada Goose but what's behind a pretty garment?
14. What’s the most challenging thing about running a sustainable blog?
Getting negative feedback from people that don't believe the environment is important. Also writing my blog in english is a challenge because it is my second language.
15. I like that your blog offers a range of sustainability: traveling tips, recipes, clothing brands, and other sources of information. How long have you been into sustainable living? I've been into sustainable living for 5 years when I first started to notice how bad the consumerism was, then I became a vegetarian when started reading about the meat industries, how bad animals are treated and how harmful the industry is for the environment.
16. What does being an influencer mean to you?
It means a lot, I am influencing people's life and somehow making them more conscious about our planet. I love when my family and friends are excited to share with me the sustainable changes they have made to their lives after reading my blog.
17. Who has influenced you and why?
Paul McCartney with his movement "Meat Free Monday" which highlights how going without meat for at least one day a week can make a huge difference to the planet, our health and even our pockets. To me this movement started as one day a week until I became a fully vegetarian. Also Stella McCartney and as a vegetarian brand its respect for animals, nature and people.